Sunday, October 15, 2006

I'M GOING TO BRAG ABOUT MY DAD TODAY...FEEL FREE TO JOIN IN.
So it's been ten years today since my dad went to what he would have called is "long home". That's heaven for anybody unfamiliar with the King James Version ;) I don't mean to bring anybody down, I just want to take a minute to remember the best man (in my maybe not so humble opinion) that ever graced the planet since the Big Man left Jerusalem. Ten years, in some ways it seems like a week ago and other times it feels like another lifetime. I remember thinking that day, that nothing would ever be exactly right again. Dad was a preacher, but never a manipulator. He was an example of how to live when everybodys watching, and when nobody else would ever know. He'd advise you to put family first, and then show you what that looks like. He was the most Christ-like person I've ever met, and still had a sense of humor (there really should be more of that). He didn't have a bunch of degrees to hang on a wall, he just loved people so much it changed their lives. I remember one night we had finished doing our part to make PDX a little cleaner (one office at a time) and we had a flat tire on the van. I made the comment that when I got rich and famous I was going to buy him a new work van. I still remember that grin in his eye when he said that maybe by then he'd just prefer a comfortable car. Good call cause he'd still be waiting. I remember ragging on him for eating twinkies and him saying, whats the point of living forever if can't have anything you like to eat. Good point. The memories live on forever. If you had the good fortune to know the man you probably have some good memories of your own, feel free to share 'em. I'm off to pick up some Dr Pepper and some SuziQ's.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Uncle was a great man of God,and family man!We all loved him greatly,and he was a big tease!
I think of him often,and still miss him today.He was a very giving person too.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opps! that was supposed to say Andyswifey,Not anonymous! I goofed!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Ssssteve said...

Ohhh those 2 a.m. chicken sandwiches on the way home from Montag oil always hit the spot! I can't believe it's been 10 yrs. Remember him telling us he would give us 10 dollars each, you, me and Joe, if we could weed the back yard. He knew as we headed out, that we would never finish and his 30 bucks was safe!

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was the best thing to happen to my kids after their own Dad. Maybe to all of us!!! 10 yrs? I still remember him teasing pin-head when he was only 2. "you want some skittles" Oh yes says pin head .. " oops, the bag's empty".. lol
He helped me over many rough bumps in the road. Miss him and still love him! We were blessed to know him Wreckse!!

11:31 PM  
Blogger wrecksE said...

Ssssteve, thats too funny. I had forgot about Montag. That place always smelled weird and was severly lacking in any educational reading material. And I remeber a few of those "paying jobs"...I guess thats why they always paid out when they were done ;)

And Hubbardmom, you know I love my "other" folks too!!!

Hey Julren, there was that one, he's talking to Uncle C, laugh. I had forgotten that. I'm sure they were just laughing WITH the people they were trying to figure out and not AT them ;)
And as I recall it helped to know a few different parts if you were singing along in G-stone. Not putting anybody down y'all I'd be the first one in line to go back in time...believe me :)

5:11 PM  
Blogger Sezme said...

How truly lucky you were to have a dad, at home, and a true man of God at that. I'm glad you didn't take it for granted and realized how good you had it.

Mmmm...and diet Dr. Pepper and SuziQ's are my mom's favorites!

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed your blog since the start. But this was the best entry yet. I feel privileged to have met your Dad, unfortunate to not have known him better. He was one of the great ones. His love warmed your bones. Thanks for giving me a reason to think of him tonight.

9:39 PM  
Blogger wrecksE said...

jbhly, .01 per nail??? I really think you could have negotiated a better deal. Funny story, sounds just like him :)

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home