Saturday, September 23, 2006

Southern Hospitality
Hey I'm going to make a post and not complain about anything I've seen on CNN. I think I can do it. So I get a call yesterday from a friend of mine inviting me out to see some live music at "The Farm". I checked my calender, and as luck would have it, I didn't have anything else booked to do for the next year or two, so I said sounds like a plan. I had heard about the place and it was everything I had heard and then some. This retired couple have turned their farm into what looks like a Bonanza set. The guy has built a couple of cabins out of scrap wood and leftovers and they are very cool. The big cabin has a giant front porch that they use as a stage and the soundbooth is in a treehouse. There were tables of snacks and hot dogs to cook on a couple of big fire pits. I hadn't had a camp fire cooked hotdog since I was a kid at one of those right-wing evangelical youth camps where I had my young mind warped into thinking that human decency was something worth trying to preserve in the world. They were better than I remember. I think I'm going to build a fire pit in my back yard. I should have gotten the buddy I went with to manage my music "career" back when I had a small amount of motivation. He was telling the nice people that they should have me out to play so they took my information and we'll see. Might find my niche yet... It's been so long since I've played out, I'd have to re-learn my own tunes. I reakon it's like riding a bike though, I'm sure I can still fall off and skin my knee. At any rate we had a blast. Heard some good music, the weather was perfect, and the people made you feel right at home. Just like it's supposed to be down south here.
And in an unheard of turn of events I'm going to be out of the house two night in a row. I'm going to an outdoor concert to see gospel soul-singer Bryan Duncan. He was always one of my favorites growing up. He has kind of a road diary on his website that I read alot. I don't think you'll find anybody in his position that is so unbelievably honest with their outlook on their life, struggles, career, and themselves. I hope I get a chance to shake his hand and thank him for providing some of the soundtrack to my life, and mostly for not having all the answers. Rock on Bryan D!

7 Comments:

Blogger Ssssteve said...

Peace, love dove, donny osmond! Bryan D is awesome!

1:31 PM  
Blogger wrecksE said...

Thats funny, I had forgotten that one. He is the coolest. Too bad Steve Taylor wasn't going to be there too.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Ssssteve said...

no, mom said pinhead couldn't come!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Uber said...

Hiya Wreckse, welcome!

Came in from Ssssteve's...I shall blogroll you. ;)

11:36 AM  
Blogger wrecksE said...

Hey Uber, thanks. I'm new to this and I'm not really sure what blogrolling is but I'm up for about anything once :) ha

Hi jt, thnx for stopping by, yeah I actually think Bryan D is getting better with age. Man that dude has a serious voice and some killer new tunes.

Yeah Pinhead, mom said you can't come but don't say we told you...

5:05 PM  
Blogger Uber said...

Don't get too excited, wreckse, I just added you to my side bar. lol

12:40 PM  
Blogger wrecksE said...

Oh yeah...uhh thats what I thought, Thanks ;)

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home